Please note the 0.06 build of Empires of the Undergrowth is undergoing internal testing and will be available to the public when testing is complete.
Also note not all changes have been listed.
Trails have been reworked
- Half of the ants assigned to a trail will now remain at the end of the trail, and when a new trail location is placed, the ants at the end of the trail will head straight to the new location. This makes the control system feel more responsive whilst maintaining the some of the natural trail behaviour.
- Two new groups have been added allowing more trails.
Ant movement reworked
- Ants will no longer move through one another in combat (no more weird death balls)
- The front line is now a thing; you can physically block a corridor and limit attacks coming in
- Ants will make constant attempts to get around one another
- Larger creatures will no longer path to where they cannot reach (such as right next to a wall)
- Many other changes designed to make movement feel a lot better
- Massive efficiency savings, your FPS should be significantly higher (doubled in some cases)
All food values in the game have been increased by a factor of 5
This should not affect gameplay but gives us more design space to work with. A few examples:
- A seed can now contain 5 to 15 food, up from 1 to 3.
- Black ants cost 50 food to place a tile, and 5 food to hatch a new one.
Dig speed has been decreased by a factor of 3
It was too easy to tunnel out huge areas and this change should lead to more thoughtful tunnelling.
Creatures will no longer pass through one another if they are near an enemy
You should no longer have large numbers of creatures on the same spot moving slowly after a battle, additionally creatures cannot push through each other to reach the front line.
Right clicking a call to arms will no longer remove it
You must use the interface button to do this
All colony ants will regenerate health slowly (player only)
All ants now regenerate health at a rate of 1 per second (queen, worker and black ant). This only applies to the player colony, and not enemy ants.
- Large balance changes for Devil’s Coach Horse Adult
- Small balance changes for Beach Tiger Beetle
- Beach Tiger Beetle now performs an AOE stun periodically
- Food rewards from all creatures reduced
- Multiple small balance changes for levels
- ‘Surrounded’ now prevents larger creatures from spawning until a certain time (shorter timer for harder difficulties)
- Backers’ level becomes a lot harder after 22 minutes (halved wave timer after that point)
- Multiple small bug fixes
- Devil’s Coach Horse Adult will no longer deafen people upon death (sound level has been reduced)
- Creatures passing through one another will no longer push other creatures
- Ants will now drop food if there is no space to store it
- Non-worker ants will drop food if they spot an enemy
This is not yet implemented, but the user interface icon is visible.